Life of Successful Entrepreneurial Couples; Do you really believe in that old cliché stating one should never mix business and pleasure? Well, I have encountered a few power couples who have proved that it’s just a mere perspective; anything is possible. I mean for Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan; it definitely turned out to be the best decision made. We all know how they embarked on a journey and are still enjoying the adventure.
Building a business with your spouse isn’t as daunting as it sounds. In fact, it’s the most romantic thing to do as a couple, trust me! Did I mention it’s easy; definitely not but it isn’t hard to achieve either? An Entrepreneurial couple can make incredible love partners only if they know how to crack the code that unlocks their love and devotion. Otherwise, things might seem like a ride of terror that you want to exit ASAP.
Are you dating an entrepreneur being one? Whether you are or not; dating can be on an adventurous ride of your life filled with excitement. The question is why the equation between young, charming and a tech-head can work well with a beautiful, creative and intelligent women. I mean think of a situation where you guys are introduced to each other at an event. You guys like each other’s company, start having a conversation over a cup of coffee, creating ideas together, and end up falling in love with each other. Does it sound absurd? Well, because this is the way how a love story of entrepreneur couples begins.
Rare to find, but they do exist! The moment when you realize that you can do more, doors open to a wide range of opportunity and possibility. However, some couples make it and the couples that break up. Let’s spot the difference.
Why Do Entrepreneurial Couples Break Up?
1. Business Partners Only- A healthy relationship is said when two people can communicate appropriately about everything from work to personal likings and dislikings. This is how you can bond, connect and learn about each other more. However, if it’s all about work then sooner or later you might end up creating a relationship barrier. Your relationship ends from the day when you start considered your spouse as more of a business person than any other.
2. All work no play- It is indeed said that couples who work 9-5 must practice spending quality time with each other, the same should be doubly true for entrepreneurs. Of course, it’s great to be passionate about your business, but does that mean you require it to put ahead of your marriage and expect your relationship to survive?
3. Stressed out- One of the significant issues faced by these couples, in particular, is the excess baggage that comes along with building your own business, the financial stress. It feels like you have no idea how you are going to pay your bills or when your next paycheck is coming. This can surely traumatize your marriage.
Why Do Entrepreneurial Couples Make Up?
1. It’s fun- Why fun, you may ask? Marriage is more fun when you exactly know that you have partnered with your best friend. Being friends, lovers and business partner’s life will be a beautiful journey. Moreover, you guys will be staying on the same page. What I am saying is you exactly know what your partner’s strength and weakness are as well as your own. By doing this, you can draw a clear line over which roles and responsibilities each partner will excel at.
2. Respect is more important than love- Much like in any marriage, entrepreneurial couples who work together needs to show some deep respect for one another. Remember, it’s just a business. I know it is pretty difficult to grasp the concept, but she is the love of your life. How can you forget that! Disagreements in the office are inevitable, but that doesn’t mean it should affect the love or respect you have for one another.
3. Communication and Appreciation- Couples working in business together know how imperative it shows kindness to one another and communicates openly about their issues. This means you must communicate effectively without shouting or reacting poorly. Know when it’s required to be humble, when it’s required to be assertive, how to provide constructive criticism and more importantly when to step back and listen.
At the same time, show appreciation for each other. Whether its professional achievement or personal, don’t forget to congratulate your spouse on their accomplishments. Stand steady as a rock on the hard days and cheer them on when they need and make them laugh on the good ones.
It’s All about Creating Work-Life Balance
Do you know what one of the best things power couples do? They prioritize time for one another. This takes a considerable effort! I know a large part of your focus goes toward your business but a significant part of your heart, energy, and time should also go towards your spouse.
Down below I would like you to get acquainted with different ways through which you can make your both personal and professional life interesting.
Have Date Night: Try scheduling regular date nights each week and make sure you reconnect as a romantic couple and not as a business partner.
According to sources, Billionaire power couple Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan reportedly drew up a relationship contract in which Zuckerberg promised to take her out on a date once a week and to spend at least 100 minutes alone with her outside of the apartment or office.
Leave Work at Work: Of course, being a power couple, you must be more committed towards your work but does that mean you are married to them. Definitely not! I completely understand with emails, video chats all around it is challenging to swipe away, but that’s exactly what blissful entrepreneurial couples do. So don’t talk much about work, get to know them as a person. Take time in It’s about having fun together and sharing in conversation.
Similarly, at TatvaSoft UK which is a development company, all employees are given specific lessons about how to balance professional life and personal life on weekends, and this company has got tremendous feedback from their employees as well.
That’s all for now!
For those who haven’t found a suitable match yet, play safe and go find yourself an equally stubborn, impatient and fearless co-founder to start up the venture called relationship.